John B. Meade
John represents issuer and underwriter clients in public and private securities offerings, including IPOs other equity offerings, investment-grade and high-yield debt offerings, and liability management transactions.
He also advises U.S. and non-U.S. corporations on general corporate matters, including strategic and separation transactions, corporate governance, and SEC reporting and compliance matters.
Numerous industry publications, including IFLR1000, Chambers USA and Law360, have recognized John as a leading capital markets lawyer. He is a member of the Financial Reporting Committee of the New York City Bar Association.
- IPOs of Hudson Group, AVG, Butterfield Bank, Cellcom Israel, Synchrony Financial, Hilton Worldwide and Manchester United
- Equity offerings by General Mills, Horizon Global, Manchester United, Norwegian Cruise Line, Tribune Media, Signature Bank, Spectrum Brands and TelaDoc Health
- High-yield debt offerings by Blackboard, Comcel, Dufry, Enova International, Garrett Motion, HRG Group, Hearthside Group, Hilton Worldwide, Kissner Milling, Millicom, New Enterprise Stone and Lime, Norwegian Cruise Line, NXP, Resideo, Sandridge Energy, Service King, Spectrum Brands and Warner Music
- Investment-grade debt offerings by Butterfield Bank, Canadian National, Compass Bank, Emerson Electric, Fifth Third Bank, General Mills, Honeywell, IBM, JPMorgan, Legg Mason, L-3 Communications, Mylan, Nestlé, Ralph Lauren, Sallie Mae, Shire, Synchrony Financial and Verisk Analytics
Recent liability management transactions include the various transactions undertaken by General Electric as part of its reorganization of the businesses of General Electric Capital Corporation, including GECC’s $36 billion debt-for-debt exchange offer – the largest corporate debt-for-debt exchange offer ever completed
Recent strategic and separation transactions include: GE’s combination of GE Transportation with Wabtec, GE’s split-off of its stake in Synchrony Financial (the largest split-off ever completed), Emerson’s proposed spin-out, and subsequent sale of, its Network Power business, and the separation of Sallie Mae and Navient
John also advises U.S. and non-U.S. corporations in a variety of industries on strategic transactions, as well as on corporate governance, compliance and disclosure matters. Among the Firm’s corporate clients with whom he works closely are: BBVA USA, Comcast, Dufry, Morgan Stanley, Sallie Mae and Verisk Analytics.
He practiced in Davis Polk’s London office from 2003 to 2011 where he worked on cross-border corporate finance and strategic transactions.
- British Government Chevening Scholar
- Sir Roy Goode Prize
- with distinction
- Rotary Foundation Scholar
- College Scholar
- first-class honours
- Partner, 2009-present
- Associate, Davis Polk, 2001-2009
- Trainee Solicitor, McCann FitzGerald (Dublin), 1997-1999
Qualifications and admissions
- England and Wales
- State of New York
- U.S. District Court, E.D. New York
- U.S. District Court, S.D. New York