Frank J. Azzopardi
Head of IP & Tech Transactions. Extensive experience counseling clients on intellectual property and technology related issues arising from corporate transactions.
Frank is head of our IP & Tech Transactions practice. He has extensive experience structuring and negotiating complex commercial transactions and counseling clients on intellectual property and technology related issues arising from those transactions. His practice spans various industries and markets.
Frank advises clients on licensing matters, supply arrangements, asset sales, joint ventures, collaborations and rights agreements, intellectual property and royalty securitizations, reorganizations and spinoffs. He also consults in connection with intellectual property related disputes and insolvency related matters.
He is regarded as a leading IP and technology lawyer by publications such as Chambers USA, Legal 500, the National Law Journal and IAM Patent 1000.
Clients Frank has recently advised include Baker Hughes, BDT Capital, Bertelsmann, Citigroup, Comcast, Emerson, Ferrero Group, Maersk, NBCUniversal, Related, Roche, Spirit Airlines, University of Michigan and VF.
Tech, Media & Telecom
- Comcast “SkyShowtime” partnership with ViacomCBS
- Bertelsmann $2.175 billion acquisition of Simon & Schuster
- Comcast agreement with Disney on Hulu’s future governance and ownership
- NBCUniversal $3.8 billion acquisition of DreamWorks Animation
- Symphony Technology consortium $2.075 billion acquisition of RSA from Dell
Transportation & Logistics
- American Airlines $10 billion AAdvantage secured financings
- Delta Air Lines $9 billion SkyMiles secured financings
- Spirit Airlines $850 million senior notes offering
- A.P. Moller – Maersk joint venture with IBM to commercialize blockchain platform
- Lucid Motors business combination with Churchill Capital Corp IV
- Baker Hughes long-term agreements with General Electric to maximize value
- ABB $2.6 billion acquisition of GE Industrial Solutions
Consumer Products & Retail
- Shiseido transfer of Personal Care business to CVC
- Ferrero acquisition of Eat Natural
- Natura acquisition of Avon
Healthcare & Life Sciences
- Reckitt Benckiser Group acquisition of Biofreeze
- Shire $2.4 billion sale of its Oncology business to Servier
- McKesson formation of a new company with Change Healthcare Holdings
- Bio-Reference Laboratories $1.47 billion acquisition by OPKO Health
Legal 500 U.S. – Technology Transactions
Chambers USA – Technology, New York
National Law Journal – “Intellectual Property Trailblazer,” 2018
IAM Patent 1000
- with honors
- Partner, 2008-present
- Associate, Davis Polk, 2001-2008
- Associate, Allens Arthur Robinson, 1998-2001
Qualifications and admissions
- State of New York